Of all the things the Internet has given us (cat videos, instant celebrities (some of whom are cats) and memes (again, cats)), perhaps the most important is the democratization of technology. Each one of us has access to information and tools to publish anything we’d like.
And, as technology has evolved, so too have the tools that help us take advantage of it. It used to be that you had to be quite the computer geek even to make simple updates to your website. You’d have to invest in expensive and complicated software like Dreamweaver.
These days, free software like WordPress makes it cheaper and easier to accomplish some of the same tasks.
You no longer have to be considered a computer genius to make basic updates to your website. For example, using WordPress, even novices can do things like:
- Update text throughout their website.
- Create photo galleries.
- Add or remove pages.
- Write blog posts.
- Maintain an events calendar.
- Add links to other sites.
- Write press releases.
- Embed videos from YouTube.
- Post members only/password protected content.
Depending on your comfort level, you can certainly do some more advanced things as well.
Here’s Why You Should Do It
Besides that great feeling of accomplishment, updating your own website is a great way to save some money as well. It’s kind of like being handy around the house. Why pay the plumber when you can put in that new faucet yourself? And, when you turn that shiny new piece of hardware on, you feel pretty darn proud.
Not So Fast
But, before you run to the kitchen with that big wrench in your hand, it might be nice to figure out what it is you’re going to do and how to do it. The same applies to WordPress.
That’s why I offer a package that not only makes WordPress a little more user-friendly, I also offer both in-person and remote training as well.
Customizing WordPress for Your Company
The simpler the interface, the easier the learning curve. I will go through the software and customize it to ensure you have access to the things you need, such as:
- Creating custom post types for things like Newsletters or Press Releases. They’ll be clearly marked in the WordPress menu.
- Installing and configuring plugins that will make common tasks easier.
- Hiding default menu items that your or your staff won’t need access to.
My goal is to make your learning curve as small as possible. Features include:
- One-on-one training where I will come to your office and help guide you through the basics of WordPress, and how to perform some common tasks.
- Access to videos made custom for your website. They will show your particular setup and are there any time you need them as a reference.
- Have a question? You can feel free to ask via email or phone. I won’t leave out on an island!
[button link=”https://www.karks.com/contact/”]Interested in learning more about updating your own website? Contact me today for an estimate.[/button]